This tutorial will show you how to merge SSL certificate and key in PFX file. This is useful in case when you are migrate SSL certificate from Linux to Windows server, or if you Renew Windows SSL certificate when no key available.
For that purpose I am going to use tool called Open SSL that you may install from the Linux server repository, or take the source from here: OpenSSL. Also you can use the Windows version: OpenSSL for Windows.
OpenSSL is an open source implementation of the SSL and TLS protocols. The core library (written in the C programming language) implements the basic cryptographic functions and provides various utility functions.
Often I am using it also to create self-signed certificates for Linux and also for Windows – when again I have to merge the certificate and the key.
openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey www.freetutorialssubmit.com.key -out www.freetutorialssubmit.com.pfx < www.freetutorialssubmit.com.cert
If you have CA certificate as well you can add it using this command:
openssl pkcs12 -export -in certificate.cer -inkey privateKey.key -out certificate.pfx -certfile CACert.cer
The above command will merge www.freetutorialssubmit.com.key with www.freetutorialssubmit.com.cert into www.freetutorialssubmit.com.pfx. It is rather simple, but if you have never used to work with OpenSSL it might be hard to find the correct syntax.
Also when you execute the command you will be prompted for an â€œExport Passwordâ€ (which can be blank) on the certificate.
As you can see it is self explainable. The only thing you may find odd is this â€˜pkcs12â€™. Letâ€™s say that this is the type of the key. In cryptography, PKCS refers to a group of public Key Cryptography Standards devised and published by RSA Security.
For more tutorials related to SSL matter please check this section: Internet Security
In case you are looking for a tutorial how to Extract SSL certificate and key from PFX file, please click on the referral link.
- openssl merge cert and key (34)
- openssl combine key and cert (34)
- openssl merge key and cert (27)
- combine cert and key (27)
- combine cert and private key (4)
- combine cert and private key into pkcs (2)
- openssl combine cert and private key (1)
- openssl combine certificate and private key (1)
- openssl combine pfx (1)
- openssl combining public and private key (1)
- combine cer key (1)
- openssl merge cert and key to single file (1)
- openssl merge certificate and private key to pfx (1)
- openssl combine a key and a cert pfx (1)
- merge crt and key file (1)
- combine cert a private key (1)
- combine certficate and private key in linux (1)
- combine certificate with private key (1)
- combine crt and key to cer (1)
- gui tool for combining key crt to pfx (1)
Filed Under: SSL
About the Author: Anthony G. is an IT specialist with more than 9 years of solid working experience in the Web Hosting industry. Currently works as server support administrator, involved in consultative discussions about Web Hosting and server administration. One of the first writers in the Onlinehowto.net website, now writing for Free Tutorials community - he is publishing tutorials and articles for the wide public, as well as specific technical solutions.